Toggle menu

Hemsby and coastal erosion - frequently asked questions

Can members of the public put objects on the beach in an attempt to slow down erosion?

The placing of blocks or other material on the beach without the consent of the Coast Protection Authority - in this case Great Yarmouth Borough Council (GYBC) - is an offence under section 16(1) of the Coast Protection Act 1949. Any such work would also require planning permission under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.

However, it is not the intention of GYBC to enforce the removal of blocks at this point in time. The Council continues to monitor the situation and, if at any point the placement of blocks has a detrimental effect elsewhere or is deemed dangerous, then their removal may be required.

Last modified on 05 January 2024

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email