Toggle menu

Hemsby and coastal erosion - frequently asked questions

If a property has to be demolished because it is unsafe and structurally unsound due to erosion who pays for the work to be carried out and how does the process work?

The Council is obliged to offer and facilitate demolition. The Council then reclaims the cost of demolition from the Government.

Where demolition is necessary, the Council uses expert companies that have significant expertise in the demolition of coastal buildings to carry out the work. Method statements for demolition work are agreed by Council surveyors and representatives from Coastal Partnership East.

Should a property fall on to the beach, the owners are responsible for removing the debris and any environmental impact it causes. The Council will always seek to avoid this eventuality by working closely with owners and seeking their permission to safely demolish with minimal disruption.

Last modified on 05 January 2024

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email