Toggle menu

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs)

How is my submitted data used by the Council?

Privacy Notice: Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs)

Who we are
Great Yarmouth Borough Council takes your privacy very seriously and provides the following in compliance with data protection legislation.

Why we process your data
We are required to process this data as part of the performance of our task as a public authority under Article 6(1)(e) of the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679.

What we do with your data
We will hold your personal data securely and ordinarily retain it for five years from the expiry of the licence period. We may lawfully share your data only with third parties of a public authority, namely:

  • the Police
  • Department of Justice 
  • Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service
  • Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government 
  • other local authorities across the UK

Your data may be shared with these authorities for the purpose of the 'Fit and Proper' test, and for our obligations under Chapter 3 of the Housing and Planning Act 2016. In addition to the above, the name and home address of both the Licence Holder and the Agent, plus information about the property, will be published in a HMO Public Register on our website and made freely available to the public. This is in order to comply with section 11 of The Licensing and Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation and Other Houses (Miscellaneous Provisions) (England) Regulations 2006.

If the property to be licensed is under a mortgage agreement, we will notify your lender and send a copy of the licence proposal for them to communicate any representation.

Your rights
Under data protection legislation you have the right to request access to, rectification, restriction, erasure, portability or objection to the processing of your personal data as detailed in our Data Protection Policy. See our Data protection page for further information.

You can contact our Data Protection Officer for any queries about your data rights on You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the regulator, the Information Commissioner, at

Last modified on 22 September 2023

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email