Market Licence policy
3. Hours of operation
3. Hours of operation
- 3.1. All Traders must ensure that their stall is suitably staffed throughout the Market Hours of Operation and is open for trade.
- 3.2. All six day traders must trade from Monday to Saturday during the core hours of 10am to 3pm on each weekday and 10am to 4pm on a Saturday. Sunday hours will be allowed by prior arrangement and the core hours for Sunday will be 10am to 3pm.
- 3.3. Two day market traders or casual traders who fail to have their stall on site by 8.30am on the day of trading may not be permitted to trade on that Trading Day unless prior arrangement is made with the Borough Council. No refund of stall fees will be paid in these circumstances. The Borough Council may re-allocate the pitch for any absence to another trader.
- 3.4. Two day market traders or casual traders must not come onto the market before 5:00 pm on the day prior to the market day.
- 3.5. All vehicles must be removed from the market by 9.00am and traders must not bring their vehicles back to the market until after 4.00pm.
- 3.6. Any exceptions to this must be agreed by the Market Officer on the day with clear reasoning being given and available to anyone on request. Reasons to keep vans on the market include:
- inclement weather
- individual illness/disability (to be evidenced prior to approval)
- early closure of the market
- 3.7. All two day traders and casual traders must vacate the market by no later than 7:30 pm, on the day of trading unless by agreement with the Borough Council.
- 3.8. Sunday trading may be offered from time to time by the Borough Council and may also be considered on request to the Borough Council by market traders. Likely reasons for agreement could include marketplace events taking place on a Sunday where traders will add to an event and are likely to gain income.
- 3.9. Where possible all traders are encouraged to make alternative arrangements to put in place cover when holidays are taken. If this is not possible two day traders may not attend four markets (Wednesdays and Saturday). A holiday rent free period of 4 days for 2 day traders will be allowed during any one financial year period.
- 3.10. Two day traders must notify market staff at least 24 hrs in advance if they are not trading on the subsequent day (unless in an emergency where traders must inform as soon as they are able to).
- 3.11. Two day traders that are unable to trade due to illness must pay their rent or provide a valid Fit Note for the period. To reclaim any rent paid they must provide the Council with a sick note from their GP. These fees will be reimbursed on the month following the illness along with any refunds in relation to cancelled Markets.